Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Tuesday April 7 2009







Goodbye Grandpa. Thank You for everything and i will always be grateful for you. My grandfather passed away today and i am currently very sad. I have known for weeks this was going to happen but it does not make it any easier. We even came back to Canton two weekends ago so I could see him one more time and let him see Rachel. He was already in the hospital back then and it was only a matter of time. Please keep my Grandmother in your thoughts and prayers as well. This has been an extremely tough time for her and it has taken its toll on her.
I have many fond memories of my grandfather and he will truly be missed. Some that come to me right now as I cry and think about him...

- The time he helped me build my pinewood derby car for cub scouts. We sanded and painted and molded that car out of a block of wood. We painted it gold and had fun making it together in his basement. I did not win and as far as i remember that car ran last in every single race down the track. But i always looked back fondly of his help.

- Playing old maid in his living room with grandma and my brothers and sisters. They had some over sized cards and we would all have a blast playing. There would be lots of laughter and giggles when invariably grandpa would end up losing and finishing as the old maid.

- Grandpa and i collected aluminum cans one summer from every gathering and event. We would go through the trash and pull out the cans and crush them. We would keep them in garage cans in his garage. I did not go with him when he took them to the recyclers but i do remember him giving me money that he told me i had earned for helping him.

- I remember him telling stories to us about when he was a kid and getting in trouble. He would tell tales of skipping school or other mischievous events. Grandma would always cut him off and tell him to quit putting ideas in our heads. I don't remember the stories but i remember thinking how ornery he was as a kid.
- Watching 'Top Cat' on TV together.

I have alot of other memories but right now Rachel is upstairs calling Daddy down the steps. She seems to be insisting i come and spend time with her before she goes to bed.

I love you grandpa and you will be missed. Here are some pictures taken last year with Rachel and Grandpa.

3 comments:

belsum said...

My condolences on your loss.

Katie said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Keith. He is free from pain and in a better place now. Sounds like you have a lot of nice memories with him, and I'm sure he was very proud of you and thrilled to have the time to spend with his great granddaughter.

Unknown said...

Those picture's brightened up my day. It was nice reading about your memories. Thank & love you